Based in Minneapolis, MN
May 15, 2016
Press / Business contact:
It is our belief that games can make lives better - and happier! We lovingly craft nonviolent, colorful games with a focus on music.
Although we met in graduate school, it wasn't until we were both on the Game Design and Development faculty at Brown College that we started melding our skills and building our friendship. After a bit, Dev left for Phoenix AZ, Burlington VT, Sarasota FL, and Los Angeles CA - teaching games and working on projects in related fields like augmented reality, mobile apps, and web development. Meanwhile, Ari took over the Game department at Brown and eventually moved on to be a 3D artist at Axonom.
Late in 2015 Ari posted something about wanting to make a game while Dev was experimenting with interactive sound systems. The time was right and a partnership was born. A couple years later, we're about to release Newt One - our first product.
Newt One: Awards YouTube
MinneDemo Presentation Vimeo
There are far more images available for DevNAri, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner: Best Interactive Piece" - FanChile: Sept. 10th, 2018
- "Winner: Mega Minne Multi Indie Mini Arcade 3" - 2D Con 2018: Aug. 5th, 2018
- "Official Selection: Exhibitor" - PixelPop: July 28th-29th, 2018
- "Official Selection: Mega Minne Multi Indie Mini Arcade 3" - MinneBar: Apr. 14th, 2018
- "Official Selection: Indie Games Showcase" - MineFaire MN 2018: Mar. 17th, 2018
- "Winner: Gamer’s Choice" - VGM Con 2018: Mar. 2-4h, 2018
- "Winner: Game of the Show" - 2D Con 2017: August 13th, 2017
- "Winner: Best Gameplay" - 2D Con 2017: August 13th, 2017
- "Winner: Best Single Player" - 2D Con 2017: August 13th, 2017
- "Winner: Best Soundtrack" - 2D Con 2017: August 13th, 2017
- "Winner (Newt One): Player's Choice" - MinneCade 2017: May 7th, 2017
- "Official Selection: MinneCade" - MinneCade 2017: May 6-7, 2017
- "Session Host: Project Management for Indies" - GlitchCon 2017: May 6th, 2017
- "Session Host: Developing a non-violent videogame for Today's World" - MinneBar: Mar. 25th, 2017
- "Official Selection (Newt One): Mega Minne Multi Indie Mini Arcade 2" - MinneBar: Mar. 25th, 2017
- "Presenter: Newt One Demo" - MinneDemo 25: Feb. 16th, 2017
- "Winner (Newt One): Best Visuals" - Gamer's Rhapsody: Nov 18th-20th, 2016
- "Official Selection (Newt One): TEDx Minneapolis Innovation Lab" - TEDx Minneapolis: Aug. 18th, 2016
- "Presenter: Game Development Microtalks" - MinneBar: Apr. 6th, 2016
- "Official Selection (Newt One): Mega Minne Multi Indie Mini Arcade" - MinneBar: Apr. 6th, 2016
- "Newt One is a shining beacon of joy and happiness in a world darkened by violence"
- Michael Cox, The Insatiable Gamer
- "a colourful concoction of cute"
- Katrina Filippidis, Gameranx
- "The only game I’ve played that I can think of that is remotely close to what Newt One does is Journey (PS3). I personally found Journey to be a very pleasant experience and Newt One taps into similar feelings."
- Andre Calvert, Game Review Pad
- "this title is something unique and special"
- Chris McAuley, Game Tyrant
- "a serene and colorful adventure that contrasts with the usual grimness of the video game landscape....there is an undeniable charm to its bubbly personality"
- Evan Maier-Zucchino, Top Shelf Gaming
- "the real goal is to make you, the player, just a little bit happier from playing"
- Naomi Lugo, Twin Cities Geek
- "a special one"
- Patrick Hickey Jr., Review Fix
- "unique twists on typcal 3D platformer experiences"
- Raymond Bakker, Zero Lives
- "...a breath of fresh air. There is no violence in this game. Just fun and challenging platforming"
- Catie, The Zombie Chimp
- "packed full of bright colours and bursting with a positive atmosphere"
- Chris McAuley, Outright Geekery
- "a unique experience. It falls within a genre, but is very much its own thing"
- , Backlog Boys
- "It is a calm and enchanted world which spreads positive thoughts all around"
- Emine Öztürk, Games News Plus
Nice Games Club Podcast, 5/15/2017
"Violence in Games (with Dev)" nicegames.club.
Ask an Indie: Ari Carrillo
Tech.mn interview with Ari tech.mn.
It’s Game On At Minnebar For MMMIMA2
MinneBar 12 arcade article tech.mn.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
President of Visuals and Playtime
President of Code and Noises